Sunday, November 9, 2014

Veterans + Heroes + Teachers = Gratitude {Humility}

Mimi Chenfeld at NAEYC2014 Dallas: Sharing and Story Telling

NAEYC. Dallas. Mimi-FEST: Songs, Stories + Sharing

What do my nearly 80 year old mentor Mimi and Veterans Day have in common? Let me attempt to recount an amazing story that unfolded in Dallas at NAEYC during her annual concluding Share Fest. 

Every year Mim invites several of us songsters to share with the gathered teachers in attendance for some show-n-tell. Typically I have led everyone is a sign language rendition of my classic "You're Wonderful." This year I was asked to lead "Red, White and Blue" in honor of Veterans Day. I did as requested. The ballroom was filled with voices and sign language. I was enthralled at the response. I sat back down. 

Then master-kinder teacher Janis took the microphone. She told the story of a kindergarten student whose older brother perished while serving in Afghanistan. She went on to tell us that my song, "Red, White and Blue" was sung by the kindergarten students in honor of the big brother. 


I am completely humbled at the thought of a kindergarten teacher supporting a family in the midst of their deepest grief, by using a song that I've written. There are all sorts of heroes that walk in our midst. They shop next to us at the grocery store and sit next to us in the darkness of the local movie theater. 

Some heroes have collections of sharpies and Scentos. 

I just got this message on FB from another teacher-hero.

Hello Debbie!!
Today our school hosted Bring a Veteran to School Day and the response was overwhelming, to say the least! We held a school-wide flag ceremony and veterans were honored with thank you cards, poem readings, and art projects from the children. Our kindergarten class signed and sang your, "Red, White, and Blue!" The veterans in attendance choked back tears and signed along with us as my kiddos sang with all the gusto and earnest a group of five-year-old hearts could possibly muster! On behalf of my students, my colleagues, and the many veterans in attendance, thank you for this beautiful memory. On those rare days when I doubt the impact I can make on the world, I'm certain this memory will quickly remind me just how powerful we all are!
Most Sincerely,
Mr. Arlee Hall

Then there are the larger-than-life HEROES that have indeed served our country. Recently we were flying on Southwest and departing from our nation's capitol when an Honor Flight from Arizona was announced as arriving at a nearby gate. Nearly two dozen veterans arrived to cheers and waving flags. One gentleman was celebrating his 94th birthday, the recipient of SIX Purple Heart Awards, he was cheered and saluted. 

HONOR FLIGHT: AZ to DC 

Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach

Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach

Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach


Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach

Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach

Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach


Veteran's Day Honor Flight shared at RainbowsWithinReach

Honor Flight Tshirt: "We can't all be heroes.... some of us get to stand on the curb + clap as they go by."
"We can't all be heroes..... some of us get to stand on the curb + clap as they go by." ~~ Will Rogers 

"Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement: Song in Picture Book Format

Both the picture book version and the digital download of my song are available at TpT. 

Digital Download: "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement


Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...