Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dr. Jean: Mentor and Moments -- NCaeyc

Dr. Jean Inspiration through the eyes of Debbie Clement at RainbowsWithinReach

This is my 19th year of happy-music-lady-wearing-polka-dots-
on-the-road-author-illustrator-presenter-RainbowWoman-
have-guitar-will-travel-changing-the-world-one-song-at-a-time!

This is also my sixth year of blogging and sharing my travels, experiences and insights. I am making a conscientious effort to do a better job of 'reporting' from the amazing places I get to experience. This past weekend was my 31st state for a professional presentation!!! Yeah, North Carolina! You're with the majority now! 
Which makes me so happy!!!!! 



Friday. Dateline: Raleigh, NC. 
Raleigh Convention Center.
NC-aeyc.

That's me playing my own version of "Where's Waldo." 
I like to call it "Defining Debbie." 
Did you 'find' me? 

The public art in the building was seriously AWESOME! 

Now here's a sneak peak into my first workshop presentation. 
We are discussing {and acting out} 
the concept of "proprioception." 
We are freezing frozen, working on balance 
and learning where our bodies are in space: 
~~ ALL AT THE SAME TIME! 


Do you think it looks like some amazing early childhood professionals live in North Carolina? I'd be happy to let my WonderPeeps in any of these classrooms! 


It 'used' to be I was over-the-moon when a participant left feedback on Facebook. 
Sometimes there would be a happy post to my personal page, and occasionally folks would make their post to my FB Fanpage! 
BTW. I just hit 5,000 followers over there! [I have to give a whole big bunch of thanks to my daughter for helping me keep that network 'alive' and growing. TY Sarah!]

I think this is the first TWEET where someone has given a shout-out! 
From a conference. With a picture anyhow.
How awesome is that?

Glad that I'm growing on Twitter, too! 


My goal for the conference was to get a picture with Dr. JEAN! 
Immediately after my presentation on Music and Movement, 
after I am ab.so.lute.ly melted, I leapt at the opportunity.

This was just moments before her conference keynote. 
Can you spell: standing-room-only?  


Dr. Jean and Debbie Clement: Together at NCaeyc in Raleigh

I was DILIGENT in taking notes while Dr. Jean spoke. 
I have three specific 'take-aways' for you. 

Here's number 1! 
"In our efforts to give children the things we never had....let us remember to give them the things we DID have." ~~ Dr. Jean


Dr. Jean told the poignant story of asking her graduating kindergarten grandson if he had gotten to play "Farmer in the Dell" during his kindergarten year. 

His answer? "What's a dell?" 
No he had not. 
Dr. Jean went on at length about giving children what we DID have growing up: 
Experiences. Songs. Rhymes. Finger plays. 

She spoke of our need to help the pendulum swing back to play. 
She received resounding applause! 



The title of Dr. Jean's keynote? 

"Kids Just Wanna Have Fun (And teachers do, too!)
There were 1200 people in attendance. 
Everyone got two paper plates.  
You do the math! 
Now imagine Cyndi Lauper's pop-rock track thundering. 
Dr. Jean had 'all the smart people' standing. 
She led paper-plate aerobics. 
Crossing the midline. 
Following directions. 
Positional words. 

Dr. Jean Take-Away #2: 
"Learning takes place on your feet, not your seat!" ~~Dr. Jean 




I know. I know. I'm a "music-lady"........... 
but I was an elementary school Art Teacher first! 
Fine motor and Fine Arts go hand in hand. 
I have FIFTY articles on my thoughts on that matter. 

Here's the Golden Anniversary Summary Issue Article

50 Editions of Fine Motor Meets Fine Arts at RainbowsWithinReach






1 comment:

  1. Dr. Jean was the first person I was able to see present at a symposium while I was in college in 1994, just a few years ago :) I knew the moment she presented I needed to be teaching early childhood education. What a special treat that the two of you were able to meet and snap such a fun photo! Thank you so much to each of you for all that you do for our children and teachers for all these years!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...