Monday, September 16, 2013

Kindergarten in Heaven: Tribute to Super Hero Carter

Childhood Cancer and Carter: On the death of a child

What do you say in the face of the unthinkable? 
What do you say in the midst of heartbreak beyond all understanding?
How does your faith lead you through times of crisis?  


This is the first image of Carter that I shared on FB less than six months ago. 
At the time Carter exclaimed, "I look like Spider Man"
and he became a superhero in my heart forever after. 

Carter didn't get to start Kindergarten this fall. 
Science-on-earth failed him. 
All of our prayers have helped sustain his faith-filled parents, 
but those prayers did not turn back the outcome of the beast.
The predictions of his medical team were accurate.
Carter gathered his angel wings this morning at 2:30 a.m. 

Cancer is brutal. 
Brain cancer in a five year old is well beyond horrific.
So what can we say? 
What can we do? 
How do we behave as we wrestle with the reality of unfairness of this scope? 

In this era of cyber-connectedness, we can reach out to one another, 
offering prayer, consolation and support. 
From around the world caring individuals added their voices of encouragement 
to Carter's family, during these their darkest hours.
Images of happier times remain to act as anchors.


This morning when I learned the finality of Carter's story 
from his great-aunt Janet, 
(my fellow breast-cancer-surviving-cyber-friend,) 
I promised her I would attempt to put some words together.

It didn't start out as a poem. 
I certainly don't think of myself as a poet, nor a philosopher and certainly not a theologian. 

But knowing that Carter's parents are faith-filled Christians..... I began. 
I gave myself permission to express our heaven 
as a place ready to celebrate Carter and childhood alike.
Quite by accident a phrase had obvious meter and I turned on a dime. 

This simplistic sentiment that follows is the outcome.  

Kindergarten-in-Heaven: a Tribute to Super Hero, 5 year old Carter

Is it too simplistic? 
My most sincere hope is that my humble rhyme buoys up the family,
I pray it doesn't disparage the depth of their grief. 
Their emotions are many and will continue to roller-coaster 
over the days and weeks ahead.
I can't begin to imagine their sorrow.

Their faith an anchor. 
Their friends and family a safe haven through the storm.

Here is a FB message left in response to my 'poem.'
I think the heart-felt truth makes it important to include here.  


Very well written. The reality is that the family of course will wish he was going to Kindergarten here and in their arms. To come home with excitement and stories. They will return to a room with all his things. Toys he will never again play with, clothes that he will never wear again, and dreams he will never achieve. They will always wonder what he would have been. There will always be a missing piece.

They will love to hear their son remembered. Perhaps one thing each of us can do is in tribute to their son, to do a special act of kindness today. Maybe it is dropping an argument with a colleague, or being nice to someone you don't get along with. Helping a stranger. Also keep in mind there are many kids fighting cancer in your neighborhood wherever you live. Consider donating some mylar balloons to the pediatric oncology floor of your local hospital in his honor.

Sorry this is a topic that is very close to me, and though the family knows their child is with our Heavenly Father, sometimes it is heartbreaking to continually hear they are in a "better place". One parent recently brought this concept home to me by saying, granted their child is in Heaven, but would you allow one of your kids to swap places with their child? Every parent wants their child with them. To watch them grow up. To kiss the boo boos. To wipe away tears on the first heart break. 
To see them graduate, marry, and make their way in this world. In short, to see them live their life. 

Yes. This loss of innocence renders hearts into pieces, 
as long-held dreams are shattered. 
Seeing an empty place at the table will be a daily reminder, months, years, even decades from now.
How do we celebrate life in the midst of death?
Others before us have pondered. 
There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
   a time for war and a time for peace.   ~~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
I have also gathered several of the uplifting thoughts from our earlier 
cyber prayer circle, to house them here together.
These sentiments are just a few of so many added from around the globe.  

"Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." -- 2 Corinthians 1:4

 Psalm 23:4 -- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me

 Isaiah 40:11
He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.

Many Sweet Angels that go before Carter are Opening their Arms Wide, waiting to Surround him in much Love & Care! Fly Free Soar High Little Carter while We surround Your Parents & Brother with the same!

 Prayers For Cárter and his Family are being sent from Puerto Rico. We must stay strong in our faith. All is in His hands and He will do what is best.

Jesus loves me this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to him belong. We are weak but he is strong.Yes Jesus loves me...the bible tells me so....

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 
Please know that you will be with Carter again in a heavenly future. May God hold you in his hands and comfort you.

 Much love to all of you..from South Africa

Penny Paterson's photo.

Thoughts and prayers of comfort to Carter's family as they begin their journey in the days ahead without him in their arms. There can be no greater sorrow, than the loss of a child.

Praying for the peace that passes all understanding. I'm so sorry for the pain that surrounds this family but I pray that this child's life will serve a greater purpose shown to his family and their sweet memories will be sewn into their hearts forever.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you and may the Lord's peace be with you now and forever. I pray that He takes you into His arms and gives you a freedom from this hurt. May the Lord be with your family and friends and help them to know that the pain is over and an eternity of joy awaits you.  
- Asuncion, Paraguay

Dear Heavenly Father, As you begin preparing Carter for his journey toward his eternal home, I ask Lord, that you begin to place the right people to surround his mom, his dad, his brother and other who will support them not only during this moment but throughout the years to come. I pray that the family feels your presence and knows that you will hold them when they can walk no more. Lord, watch over them and may you give them a gift of peace in knowing that Carter will be flying over them daily as "their " Guardian Angel. Lord we as this all in your sons precious and holy name, in Jesus name I pray AMEN

 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 Prayers for those left behind that the healing of their grief will be swift! Prayer of thankfulness & joy for Carter's triumphant entry to live with the King of Kings!

 Prayers for Carter's family, & friends as well as for his lil body to finally be pain free & resting comfortable!

There is a beautiful song by Chris Rice with a verse that says "Fly to Jesus and live..." Jesus is there, Carter, when you are ready...

 I join your chorus of prayers for Carter. I pray for his family and friends. I also thank God for his young life and all who have been touched by his struggle to remain with us on a physical plane. Now is the time for us to prepare our hearts and minds to receive God's precious "kindergarten angel".

 For to his angels he's given a command 
To guard you in all of your ways; 
Upon their hands they will bear you up, 
Lest you dash your foot against a stone. And he will lift you up on eagle's wings, 
Bear you on the breath of dawn, 
Make you to shine like the sun, 
And hold you in the palm of his hand.


I pray that little Carter's body rests as his spirit soars on in the kingdom of Heaven.

 romans 12 :15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

Praying! We may not understand why things happen the way they do or why He doesn't answer our prayers the way we wanted Him to do. But Jesus is there. He is waiting with open arms to welcome Carter into the kingdom of Heaven and He is waiting with open arms to wrap His loving arms around the family to give them comfort. This is a wonderful uplifting song to remind us that Jesus is always with us, always listening.

May The Lord give Carter's family peace and comfort them with the loving embrace of friends. Lean on our faith.

I Carry Your Heart With Me-E.E. Cummings.
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

i am never without it(anywhere i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) 


Sending prayers and love to Carter's family.

Jer. 29:11 For I know the Plans I have for you says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you...to give you hope and a future. Soon the Lord will be wrapping His loving arms around Carter. We don't understand it - but there's no better place to be.

Psalm 46:10a

Almighty God, and merciful Father, to whom alone belong the issues of life and death: Look down from heaven, we humbly beseech thee, with the eyes of mercy upon this child now lying upon the bed of sickness: Visit him, 0 Lord, with thy salvation; deliver him in thy good appointed time from his bodily pain, and save his soul for thy mercies' sake: That, if it shall be thy pleasure to prolong his days here on earth, he may live to thee, and be an instrument of thy glory, by serving thee faithfully, and doing good in his generation; or else receive him into those heavenly habitations, where the souls of them that sleep in the Lord Jesus enjoy perpetual rest and felicity. Grant this, 0 Lord, for thy mercies' sake, in the same thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end 

So we that remain must move forward. Putting one foot in front of the other. Giving our very best of our selves is the offering we share on this community altar that is life. At this exact same time last year I shared from my pulpit here of the loss of our village's teenage Bo, as he too lost his valiant fight to cancer. On that occasion I was prompted to create this piece of art as my reflection. [You can click the pic to read some of Bo's story.] There is now a foundation in his name, with the simple name "Go Bo." What good can result from super hero Carter's brief life? Time will tell. 

My own favorite scripture passage in times of the unbearable, 

"We know that for those who love Him, for those called in agreement with His purpose, God makes all things work together for good." 

It's hard to imagine how the loss of a child could possibly 'work-together-for-good.' My imagination is not that strong...... but my faith trusts in these words. This promise. This reality that I have experienced first hand. 


"Remember that children and gardens reflect the care they are given."  (Graphic garden via RainbowsWithinReach)

I have other articles here on my blog, dealing with my own travels thru early stage Breast Cancer diagnosis. Not once, but twice. Those are housed in this conglomeration

Just this weekend there is a RoundUP of blogger's articles as they have dealt with/confronted cancer in their own family. I refer you to "Life Happens, Then you Write."  You will be able to read other first-hand accounts from across cybersphere. 

If you are in search of 'consolation' for any reason..... not necessarily cancer related, but when you are going through an especially difficult challenge, I have two earlier articles here entitled,
BLUE CHRISTMAS and BLUE CHRISTMAS Re-Run 

that are a genuine effort to offer encouragement in the face of difficulty. 

I will get Carter's tribute into pdf format just as soon as possible, for your ease in printing. 





-- Debbie -- 

4 comments:

  1. So well written, Debbie. My heart goes out to those parents who have had this dreaded disease take their babies from them. I can't imagine that heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci thank you so much for your encouragement and support, especially for this particular article. Suffering in children will never be something that I understand. It is such a sorrow that there are children who must face the unthinkable. I appreciate your concern expressed on behalf of the family.

      Debbie

      Delete
  2. Since 2009 when we met on bc.org I knew you were a "kindred spirit". Debbie Clement, I love your heart and your love for children and have so enjoyed your sharing your journey with me and others.... Thank you so much for this precious tribute to our Carter, our little "super hero". He will be sorely missed by those of us left behind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arnie.... it has been an incredible journey. Who would have ever predicted this chapter in the story of how our lives have intersected? My heart and prayers are with your entire extended family at this time of your loss. I appreciate your inviting me into your family, to act as a conduit for support.

      Bee strong.
      Bee true.
      Bee willing.
      Bee brave.
      Bee a story-teller.
      Bee a memory-keeper.
      Bee.

      Debbie

      Delete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...