Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Back to School Welcome Bulletin Boards

Back to School Bulletin Boards at RainbowsWithinReach

Bulletin Boards for Back to School

I know that I have new visitors here in search of bulletin board inspiration. I can 'see' that because of the web searches that deliver new viewers. So I go in 'search' of bulletin board ideas to capture, which will reward your search. Today I have a delightful collection of goodies to share. Monday of this week I had the honor of delivering an all day seminar on the power of the Arts in Early Childhood, to the incredible and dedicated teaching staff of the Head Start program(s) in and around Cambridge, OH. 

Apple Themed Back to School Bulletin Board at RainbowsWithinReach

Let me just tell you that I did indeed have BUSHELS of fun with Head Start... the newest branch of my fanclub. Passionate and receptive. Spirited and enthusiastic. Incredible. Speaking to a responsive audience is about as much 'fun' as you can have. Monday was an amazing day on ALL levels.

As our day together concluded, with me receiving a gen-u-ine standing ovation (bringing me nearly to tears) -- some brilliant one had the idea to pose all of us together for a Yearbook picture. Can you 'spot' me? I'm the one pinching myself for being so fortunate. Squeezing the tears out of my eyes. 


I learned a lot while on site with these amazing women. The most alarming fact of my 'learning'? I learned the starting wage for a classroom teacher (which requires a four year education degree.) Shocked. Disheartening. Upsetting. Agonizing. 

I also learned that this system "lost" an entire site for serving children and families, with the last set of federal cutbacks. Eight teachers lost their jobs. Forty five children lost classroom assignments. How many families does that mean? 

Back to School Bulletin Board with Harvest Theme at RainbowsWithinReach

I've always 'known' that early childhood education was a labor-of-LUV for many. I've always known that many of the professionals that I've met in private preschools consider their position as something of an altruistic contribution to their community. Many 'preschool' teachers are able to make that contribution due to the support of their spouse. 

Back to School Bulletin Board with "Minion" Theme at RainbowsWithinReach

Somehow. Learning the specific hourly wage of Head Start head classroom teachers, while in Cambridge, I had something inside that 'snapped.' Hearing the educational director speak of the hardships of searching for qualified teachers who can somehow subsist on the wage available was heartbreaking. 

Bulletin Board for Back to School in Preschool via RainbowsWithinReach

Perhaps it was having just heard the negotiated salary of one professional football player, the day before while having some NFL gridiron entertainment the day before. Seriously? What is wrong with this picture? What is wrong with these times we live in? How is it possible that our commitment to young children and those who teach them, could be so completely skewed? 

Family Tree Theme for Back to School Bulletin Board via RainbowsWithinReach

How can we meaningfully advocate for those making such an amazing contribution to tomorrow? Where do we begin? 

Preschool Back-to-School Apple Themed Bulletin Board via RainbowsWithinReach

You can see the professionalism in the classrooms at the central site. I'll admit. I am living off in my own happy little bubble of polka-dots and ditties-of-delight. I get invited to locations that are the epitome of excellence in education. I have had a wake-up-call. I don't know what to do about it, but it is time for me to do more active listening about the reality facing teachers. Dedicated teachers. 

Daily Visual Schedule in Head Start via RainbowsWithinReach 

I guess I'm getting 'older.' 
I guess I'm less caught up in being a 'pleaser.' 
Time.  
It's time to take my consultant position with greater responsibility. 

Our Job Chart: Head Start Classroom Jobs via RainbowsWithinReach

What percentage of your time do you spend advocating for education? 
Where does that time make a meaningful impact? 
Where do you suggest that I start? 

Feelings Chart in Head Start Classroom via RainbowsWithinReach

I lured you here with these clever bulletin boards. I so seldom have much interaction in my comment section. In fact I often feel like I'm 'talking-to-myself.' More than ever, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Do you have any thoughts? How can we expect the teachers of our youngest (and some of our most 'at-risk' children) to exist just a click or two above minimum wage? Requiring a degree of teachers of young children is a terrific way to improve the lives of the next generation. What about the teachers? Where can we 'find' the dollars necessary to move toward genuine salaries?  

Apple Chart for Positive Classroom Behavior via RainbowsWithinReach

Yes. I have an article from last year, with back-to-school bulletin boards I observed last year. 
Return to this earlier article for additional inspiration. 




Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...