Friday, August 6, 2010

Yoga for Lymphedema












It's time for me to come-out-of-the-closet:
My name is Debbie. I had BILAT surgery 1/15/10.
I have chosen not to have reconstruction.
Two months after my surgery I developed an infection along my insicion that resulted in a further case of cellulitis.
From the infection I developed a hemotoma.
It has been drained three times.
I had a frozen shoulder that further limited my range of motion.
I went to 40 sessions of PT.
I was then diagnosed with Lymphedema.
I now must wear a compression sleeve & gauntlet (short glove) to keep my arm from further swelling and to combat other lymph-circulatory issues.
(More on that later.)
I am now studying yoga with fellow BC survivor, Marcia, who has taught yoga for 30 years.
We have entered into this 'project' together.
Using yoga exercises/stretches, with particular focus for the BC-LE community.
Today we begin to share our project.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see more! How is yoga helping your lyphedema?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Dutch yoga teacher and I am doing a research on yoga and lympedema. In what way do you think yoga can do something for you? Are there other specific asanas working well for you?
    Thank you and good luck, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there's good news & bad news.
    When I was up in WI for the summer, I had access & time, to a yoga class & instructor -- across the street, I saw huge benefits. So much for me is about the time. Now, I'm back to my 'real' life.

    Time and self-discipline are my two short comings.

    When I prioritize my own self-care, the yoga is a HUGE help in dealing with my limitations/LE. The gradual stretching seems to be my biggest bonus.

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...